- Omsom Vietnamese Lemongrass BBQ Starter
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 scallion stalks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- rice paper
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- neutral cooking oil
- Shred your carrot and cabbage. Finely dice your mushrooms.
- In a bowl, combine vegetables with minced garlic and scallion.
- Add the Omsom starter and stir until just combined.
Serve as an appetizer or as a meal with your favorite grains!
- Fill a large bowl with warm water, salt and sugar. Stir to combine. The bowl needs to be big enough to accommodate for the width of the rice paper.
- Lightly grease your work surface with sesame oil to avoid sticking.
- Submerge while rotating the rice paper quickly. Submerge two at a time to make a stronger skin. Don’t drench the rice paper as it will continue to soften as you work. Place your rice paper smooth side down.
- Place a tablespoon of veggie stuffing in the bottom center of rice paper, about an inch from the bottom edge. Fold bottom edge over stuffing to create a seam, fold left and right side of the rice paper into center, making sure to apply pressure to the filling to release air bubbles. Finally, roll stuffing upwards towards top edge and seal bundle.
- Once completed, set aside on a lightly oiled plate while you finish making the rest of the bundles.
Let's get cooking:
- Cover the bottom of a heavy bottom non-stick skillet in ½ inch of a neutral cooking oil.
- Bring skillet to medium-high heat and reduce to medium. Fry veggie wraps for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve as an appetizer or as a meal with your favorite grains!